Published 9 August 2023
Location: Maryland, USA
Plenary is a leading specialized developer of long-term Public-Private Partnership (PPP) projects. Since its inception in 2005, we have built a portfolio of 59 projects and more than $23 billion in North American assets under management. We are determined in our approach to deliver first-class infrastructure, build the right delivery solutions for the projects we work on and inspire people with our vision for transformational spaces.
Why Work for Plenary?
Recognized as one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, ranked as a Best Place to Work in Canada and certified as a Great Place to Work in both the US and Canada, we pride ourselves on our winning workplace culture. Our focus is on empowering our employees, driving results, building strong camaraderie, and celebrating our wins as a team. Together, we bring infrastructure to life.
As a member of the Asset Delivery team, you will be responsible for the management of all components of a large-scale higher education campus utility project in Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area from the start of construction through project operations. Your primary objective will be to ensure that Plenary Americas successfully manages its obligations and meets its project commitments under a Public-Private Partnership framework, and thereby build a premier reputation for Plenary with client entities, business partners and community stakeholders. Within this role, you will act as the primary point of contact and be responsible for implementing the project in coordination with other members of the project team. The ideal candidate will be capable of engaging stakeholders by effectively articulating Plenary’s approach to achieving project objectives and must demonstrate the ability to build and maintain long-term, effective working partnerships. The candidate must also have strong interpersonal skills, a demonstrated record of creative problem solving in complex situations, and the ability to make well-informed decisions to progress the assigned project.
- Project Management: Provide effective and professional project management to successfully complete and to ensure that all project commitments, contracted milestones and deliverables are met.
- Cost Management and Budget Control: Manage and coordinate the preparation of project risk registers and budgets to ensure that costs are accurately identified for project proposals and support the project team in negotiation up to financial close. Then, manage within these parameters during the management and the delivery phase of the construction.
- Project Delivery: Oversee all deliverables and milestones including management and tracking of risks throughout the project lifecycle from the initial opportunity identification through to construction and operational handover. Ensure accurate project reporting to Plenary management.
- Quality and Standards: Ensure that the quality and standards of Plenary are maintained in terms of proposal, contract and project documentation.
- Operational Handover: Help lead all aspects of the acceptance reviews of contractor’s works and preparation for operational handover including ensuring that all necessary client documentation is complete and accurate.
- Procurement Management Support (as needed): Assist in directing, controlling and managing consultants and contractors to coordinate their input into project proposals in a timely manner and ensure that there is innovative and cost-effective quality content and a full and complete submission. This involves extensive communication with all consultants and advisors and regular review of the progress of their work to ensure that the optimal winning solution is developed and executed in a manner consistent with the bid and contract documents.
During the construction phase of projects assigned, have responsibility to:
- Ensure that Plenary successfully manages its obligations, meets its project commitments, mitigates risk and successfully implements its bid solution for this project and in a manner consistent with our projects across the North American market.
- Implement a Project Management system framework that complies with Plenary requirements and the Project Agreement for the project assigned;
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the Project Agreement and related sub agreements (e.g. Services and Construction contracts, etc.), develop an inventory of Construction and Operations deliverables for Plenary and its partners, and implement a system to manage the timely delivery of obligations;
- Attend and participate in all design and construction meetings to ensure compliance with the Contract Documents and efficient communications between all Project parties;
- Review and provide feedback on project documentation submitted by Construction and Service Partners (e.g. Policies and Procedures Manuals, Transition Reports, etc.);
- Coordinate to ensure a seamless transition of service delivery takes place between completion of the construction phase and commencement of the operations phase;
- Take responsibility for helping ensure close working relationships are established between all parties during both the construction and operations phases and that there is effective service integration between the service providers and the client; and
- Prepare regular monthly and quarterly reports regarding any design and construction, operations, and asset performance information required for distribution to the Boards for the relevant project and ensure compliance with related Management Services Agreements
During the operations phase of the projects assigned, have day-to-day responsibility to:
- Manage the Operations, Maintenance and Rehabilitation budgets to ensure optimal financial outcomes are achieved;
- Oversee annual forecasts for reviewable services provided by service providers to ensure any financial risks to Plenary is managed;
- Ensure that Plenary and its subcontractors meet all of its service requirements detailed in the Project Agreement;
- Management of all aspects of the transition from the existing phases to new phases of the project;
- Continuous monitoring and assessment of all Operations, maintenance and rehab aspects to ensure they are meeting with the service specifications as defined in the OMR technical specifications;
- Review service partners service delivery budgets to ensure the budget process outlined in the relevant Management Services Agreements is strictly complied with;
- Ensure Plenary complies with its obligations in the Services Agreements with service partners;
- Implement communication and relationship management plans relating to all stakeholders;
- Develop and implement Plenary’s Quality, Safety and Environmental management systems;
- Assist with the development, implementation and review of the annual business plan;
- Prepare and help present regular monthly and quarterly operations and asset performance reports for distribution to the Boards for the relevant project and ensure compliance with related Management Services Agreements;
- Monitor and review client and stakeholder satisfaction;
- Administration of the Plenary’s Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), if applicable; and
- Support Senior Management in all other areas as required as required.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education in business management, public administration, engineering, or a related field.
- 15 years of progressive experience in management and customer relations in the energy industry and/or PPP sector, preferably with entities providing district energy services or operating cogeneration facilities.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and high level of personal and professional integrity. Ability to work with various priorities with competing timelines.
- Work positively within a cohesive team to achieve the common goal of project completion.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with various specialties – designers, contractors, financial staff, commercial, and public owners.
- Experience using Sharepoint and a scheduling or project management software would be an asset.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary with annual bonus potential.
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision, and 401k plan with employer contribution.
- Four weeks’ vacation.
- Long-term development opportunities and the ability to be part of an exciting and growing industry
Note: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. We are committed to continuous improvement, and a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. Plenary Americas is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and employment decisions are based on merit and business needs only. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.